Techtonica is a rigorous, six-month training program followed by job placement for women and non-binary adults with low incomes. Our program participants will benefit from the experience, insight, and support of someone who understands their desire to become software engineers and has successfully achieved that goal themselves. To improve our participants’ probability of success, we pair them with a mentor who can serve in the following roles:
- Advisor – Mentors share their professional wisdom, give feedback on projects, and are available to be a sounding board for mentees’ ideas.
- Role Model – A mentor’s insight into their professional journey helps mentees see their own path into a new career.
- Supporter – Learning to code can be a difficult and frustrating endeavor. It is incredibly important to have a mentor who listens with a sympathetic ear, acknowledges disappointments, and celebrates triumphs.
Benefits to Mentors
- Techtonica mentors have a direct impact on creating a more diverse, inclusive tech industry.
- Mentoring builds leadership skills in coaching, counseling, listening, and modeling.
- Mentors have the opportunity to connect not only with their assigned mentees, but with other program participants, Techtonica staff and board members, fellow mentors, as well as other Techtonica supporters.
In order to best serve Techtonica mentees, mentors must be:
- 18 years or older
- Employed as a Software Engineer or in a closely-related field
- Familiar with the tech stack that participants will be using (React and Node) or willing to familiarize themselves with it
- Able to attend most mentor events, including the matching and check-ins
Roles and Expectations
January 2022 Cohort Timeline
|Oct 6th - Nov 12th||Mentor applications open|
|Nov 1st - Nov 29th||Mentor interviews|
|Nov 16th - Nov 29th||Mentor selections|
|Nov 30th||Mentor matching and participant onboarding|
|December 2021||Support participants doing pre-work|
|January - June 2022||Support during Techtonica training|
|June - December 2022||Support during placement or job search|
If this sounds like a commitment that you can make, please apply now!Apply to mentor the January 2022 cohort