Mentor an Apprentice
Techtonica is a rigorous, six-month training program followed by job placement for Bay Area women and non-binary adults with low incomes. Our apprentices will benefit from the experience, insight, and support of someone who understands their desire to become software engineers and has successfully achieved that goal themselves. To improve our apprentices’ probability of success, we pair them with a mentor who can serve in the following roles:
- Advisor – Mentors share their professional wisdom, give feedback on projects, and are available to be a sounding board for apprentices’ ideas.
- Role Model – A mentor’s insight into their professional journey helps our apprentices see their own path into a new career.
- Supporter – Learning to code can be a difficult and frustrating endeavor. It is incredibly important to have a mentor who listens with a sympathetic ear, acknowledges disappointments, and celebrates triumphs.
Benefits to Mentors
- Techtonica mentors have a direct impact on creating a more diverse, inclusive tech industry.
- Mentoring builds leadership skills in coaching, counseling, listening, and modeling.
- Mentors have the opportunity to connect not only with their assigned apprentices, but with other apprentices, Techtonica staff and board members, fellow mentors, as well as other Techtonica supporters.
In order to best serve our apprentices, mentors must be:
- 18 years or older
- Employed as a Software Engineer or in a closely-related field
- Live/work in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Able to attend most mentor events, including the matching on December 15th, 2018
Roles and Expectations
January 2019 Cohort Timeline
|November 20th-December 3rd||Mentor applications open|
|December 4th-December 6th||Mentor interviews|
|December 8th||Mentor selections|
|December 15th||Mentor matching and apprentice onboarding|
|January 7th - June 21st||Techtonica Training|
|June 24th - December||Support during placement with Techtonica partners|
If this sounds like a commitment that you can make, please apply now!Apply to become a mentor