Techtonica is a nonprofit (through fiscal sponsor Social Good Fund) that offers women and non-binary adults with low incomes free tech training, along with living and childcare stipends, then places them in positions at sponsoring companies.
Make an Impact as Our Software Engineering Apprenticeship Manager
Techtonica offers a life-changing learning experience to participants. We care deeply about helping the participants of our apprenticeship program become excellent software engineers with successful careers in tech.
We are looking for a committed, technical individual to start immediately as a Software Engineering Apprenticeship Manager (SEAM) for our six-month apprenticeship program in San Francisco (the next cohort will start in January). The SEAM will be responsible for preparing and implementing a training plan in line with current software standards. The SEAM will also provide technical guidance, knowledge, and leadership to participants while helping them develop their personal and professional skills.
Our participants are Bay Area women and non-binary adults and most of them are people of color. We are seeking an individual who can relate to the target audience on as many levels as possible.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the cause and the position and have the ability to create a relationship of mutual trust and leadership. They will know how to manage a group confidently and make learning an effective and meaningful process that truly prepares participants for the workplace.
This role's compensation will start between $80K and $130K annually (depending on experience), with the opportunity for review after six months. We can provide benefits, but we cannot provide visa sponsorship at this time.
- Be present Monday-Friday 8:15am-5:15pm (with an hour-long lunch hour), and as needed for Techtonica events during the evenings and weekends
- Manage participants of the apprenticeship program (with regular check-ins), volunteers, and mentors
- Be the on-site software engineering expert—this means you'll present, explain, and answer questions about software engineering, pair, develop, and debug with participants
- Conduct assessments and create efficient processes for assessments and more
- Continually improve training content (instruction, notes, summaries, assignments, schedules, etc.) that is up-to-date with software engineering best practices
- Provide hands-on, project-based learning that builds portfolios for participants and fills sponsors' needs
- Collaborate with the CEO on the program vision
- Oversee the apprenticeship application process
- Manage other program staff as assigned
What we're looking for:
- A minimum of two years of software engineering experience in the last four years
- Excellence at teaching software engineering concepts
- The ability to quickly familiarize yourself with Techtonica’s vision and all people involved (staff, participants, board members, volunteers, etc.)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong moral values and discipline
- Organization, commitment, and adaptability
- Putting personal biases aside as needed
- Understanding of socioeconomic experiences that our participants have faced
- Being passionate and informed about social justice and diversity-and-inclusion-in-tech issues
- An extrovert who is respectful of introverts’ needs
- Ability to handle many different projects and tasks simultaneously and independently
- Commitment to filling the role at Techtonica for at least an entire cohort, which is six months
The interview process involves an interview (online or in-person), contributing to the curriculum, pairing, and meeting board members. Please send your resume or a link to your LinkedIn profile and a link to your GitHub profile to email@example.com if this role sounds like a good fit for you.Contact us